Search is on for Youth MP
The search is on for an energetic, passionate young person to become the voice of Coromandel’s youth in the 2016 Youth Parliament in Wellington.
Local MP Scott Simpson is asking 16 to 18 year olds across the electorate who believe they have what it takes to become the Coromandel Youth MP to get involved in the selection process which will take the form of a speech competition.
“This is such an exciting opportunity. The Coromandel Youth MP will join 121 other young people from around the country in Wellington on July 19 and 20 2016. Youth Parliament is as close as possible to the real thing. Youth MPs will debate legislation, sit on select committees and ask oral questions of Ministers. It is a unique chance to get first-hand experience of how Parliament works and to bring the views of your community straight to the decision makers in Government,” Mr Simpson explained.
To be considered, candidates will need to deliver a three minute speech on a set subject to a panel which will include Mr Simpson and 2 to 3 community representatives. The selection will take place in Thames on Saturday 10 October.
“I want to hear from young people who are willing to get out and seek the views, opinions and ideas of their peers and represent them in Parliament. They need to be good communicators and passionate about youth issues,” Mr Simpson said.
The Youth MP will hold their position from 25 January until 25 July 2016. During this time they will be expected to actively engage with their community to gain an understanding of the concerns and ideas of youth in the Coromandel area.
Application forms are now available in schools, youth organisations and from the Electorate Office, 614 Pollen St, Thames. For more information phone 07 868 3529, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.youthparliament.govt.nz
NOTES FOR EDITORS
• Youth Parliament is organised by the Ministry of Youth Development
• Youth Parliament started in 1994 and his held once every Parliamentary term.
• Young people aged between 16 and 18 years (inclusive) can apply to become a Youth MP
• The aim of the Youth Parliament is to give young New Zealanders the opportunity to gain and understanding of the parliamentary and government decision making process.
• It is also an opportunity for MPs to learn about the issues affecting young people today and their aspirations and ideas for moving out nation forward.
• Young aspiring journalists aged 16 to 24 years (inclusive) can also apply to become a Youth Press Gallery member. Further information on the Youth Press Gallery is available at www.youthparliament.govt.nz
Closing date for applications: 1 October, 2015
Speech contest: 10 October , 2015
Youth Parliament : 19-20 July, 2016